You’ll find a number of ways to boil a corn. Boiling is the perfect way to cook corn to make it tastier and juicier. However, there are some techniques to follow while boiling the cobs. You don’t want to overcook the kernels and make them squelchy and tasteless.
There is no better taste of any food in summer than a freshly boiled corn on the cob. People use different methods to get the best taste which is unbelievable.
Whether you are planning to throw a party or just thinking of making something delicious for your family, serve your guests with a fresh boiled corn on the cob instead of unhealthy fries with a delicious chicken steak. It will become a family favorite and the popular dish of the party.
- You may also like: How To Boil Chicken?
If you are new to boiling the corn on the cob, your mind must be bombarded with a number of questions. You must be wondering how to choose the best-quality corn from the market? How to peel the husk off? Which method is the perfect method to boil the cob? How to clean the cob properly before boiling? We have answers to all your questions.
How to Boil Corn
Choose the best corn
Choosing the right type is the first and most crucial step. Make sure that you buy the one which is hard. Feel the
heaviness and firmness with your hands. The heavier the cob is the better it is. If you feel some holes in the cob, it means that some of the kernels are missing, therefore, it is not of good quality.
Look for the tassels which are brown and look fresh. If the tassels are dry and black, it means that it is not fresh. Look for the outer husk, it should be fresh and green.
How to peel off
After buying the best quality corn, before starting to boil it, you have to first peel the outer leaves off. Shucking off the corn can be a nightmare for some people. It gets very untidy and messy to shuck it off. However, we have compiled a few important steps to follow to make it easy for you to do the job well. An important tip is to use your hands to shuck it off, section by section.
Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Shuck off the outer husk of the cob gently and carefully.
- Throw the leaves away, you don’t need them anymore.
- Expose the ear of the corn which is actually the head.
- Hold the top of the leaves and tassels firmly and pull them down in one firm go.
- Take off the threads and silks properly.
- Make sure to clean it properly. It should be without any silks, tassels, and
- Throw the threads and silks away.
Shucking off the corn can be a difficult task. It will take some time if you are doing it for the first time. But it is not something you cannot do. The leaves and silks fly away here and there while peeling them off. Try to shuck off the leaves, silks, and threads in a plastic bag so you don’t mess your kitchen around.
Wash the corn properly
After taking off the husk of the cob, it now time to wash it properly before boiling it. Washing the corn is easy. Simply hold the cob under the water in your sink and let it be under it for some time. Make sure that the remaining silks and threads are properly removed. Rub the surface of the kernels with your hands. Circulate your fingers on the cob while it is still under the running water.
After washing out the cob properly, cut the kernels which are damaged or discolored with a knife or use your hand.
The Boiling Method to Follow
Boiling it on the cob is not very tricky. It is a popular way of cooking the corn and enjoying the delicious taste of it. It only takes a few minutes to boil it. Just follow the steps mentioned below:
- Fill a large pot with water to hold the number of cobs you want to boil. Obviously, you won’t be boiling only one corn cob at a time, just for your own self.
- Cover the pot with a lid and bring the cold unsalted water to boil on your stove on high heat.
- Some people like to add sugar or salt to the boiling water, but don’t add anything at all to have an original taste of the corn.
- Add the number of cobs in the boiling water you want to cook.
- Since it floats on the top of the water it is better to cover the pot with a lid.
- Covering the pot helps the water to boil faster and the corn gets tender quickly.
- It will take approximately 4 to 5 minutes to bring the water back to boiling.
- Immediately remove the cobs from the water when the water comes back to boiling.
- Remove the cobs from the water with tongs to avoiding burning your hands.
- The corn is ready to be served, which is neither overcooked nor undercooked.
- You can serve it with a bit of butter and some sea salt.
How long to boil corn on the cob?
To get the perfect tenderness and softness, it is important to keep in mind not to overcook the con. Boiling corn on the cob is the easiest and simplest way to enjoy the taste of it which is marvelous. However, if you overdo it, you will spoil the taste of it and your guests will be totally disappointed, if you serve them the corn which is not boiled properly.
If the size of the cob you are boiling is small, then you need to boil it for 10 minutes. If the size is big, you need to boil it for 5 extra minutes. You can even see the tenderness and softness of the corn yourself and see if they are done properly.
Boiling time depends on you, some people want the corn a bit soft, and some prefer it to be firm. It is a matter of taste. It totally depends on your taste how long you want to boil it, but make sure that you don’t overcook, otherwise, it will lose its taste and nutritional value.
What is the nutritional value of boiling corn?
All vegetable are good for our health, they add the right amount of minerals and carbohydrates needed for our body. Corn is a vegetable which has high nutritional value when it is boiled without adding any additives to it.
It offers a number of healthy nutrients which are good for our body to stay healthy. A cup of boiled corn contains 143 calories and 2grams of fat. It also contains 8.5 mg of vitamin C and 3.6 grams of fiber.
There is no summer food as delicious and yummiest as a corn on the cob. Everybody in the family simply loves to enjoy it. It’s a great addition to a family meal or a party or picnic. It’s a very good snack with exceptional nutritional value.